Google Places replaced by Google Plus Local
Google Places is no more.
This is the latest push by the search engine giant to integrate Google Plus with more features which allow users to interact and network.
Here are the most important changes that have been made:
- Google+ Local pages will replace Google Places pages.
- Google+ Local pages will be indexed by Google. That means that unlike the old Places pages, they’ll show up in search results.
- Google+ has a new “Local” tab
- The old 5-star review system has been replaced with the Zagat 30-point review system.
- Google+ Local pages will be integrated across Google properties (Google+, standard search, Google Maps, mobile)
- A Google+ circles filter has been added so you can find reviews from people you know
The conversion to Google+ Local pages is happening whether your Places page is claimed or not. If you’ve already claimed your Places page, you’ll continue to manage your information and reviews through Google Places for Business – so your back end won’t change. We mentioned it above, but in case you missed it – Google+ Local pages will be indexed. That means your Google+ Local page can show up in search results in local searches. It’s more important than ever to get on Google and claim your listing – your listing could potentially show up on Page One, so you should claim it and control it.
There’s HUGE potential for SEO benefits from this update – you’ll want to be sure that you get up to speed with Google+ as soon as possible.
Steph Zahalka is the founder and CEO of Jungle Branding Co., a premier award-winning brand agency based on the Gold Coast Australia, serving clients across the globe.
Recent winner of the prestigious Female Entrepreneur of the Year Stevie Award 2020, Steph is a brand strategist and designer who has been featured on the cover of a nationally recognised ‘women in business’ magazine (GCGIB) and regularly appears on podcasts and events around the Gold Coast as a speaker, panel expert and interviewee where she reveals her unique process for building a wildly in-demand brand for ambitious entrepreneurs, modern CEOs, influencers, thought leaders, and service-based business owners.
Steph believes that, when done right, branding is the door to connecting with your people, your audience on a deeper level. Human to human connection that makes your audience ridiculously obsessed with not just your brand, but YOU and your vision that ultimately makes a positive impact on the world.